Green Imagination

Your Blog for Sharing Green Ideas.

Monday, July 26, 2004

A Story that Warms My Heart

Normally on this blog, I only discuss general Green ideas and ideals.  I tend to eschew direct discussions of national current events.  But this story just warmed my heart and made me smile:

The streets around the Democratic National Convention site resembled an armed camp on Sunday - helicopters overhead, bomb-sniffing dogs and their handlers, police officers and soldiers lining the intersections, many kinds of barriers, and an officially designated "Free Speech Zone" sealed off with cyclone fencing and razor wire.

It looked like an empty cage.

Apparently, the 3000 protestors at the Democratic National Convention refused to use the ironically named "Free Speech Zone," which one protestor said looked like a concentration camp. 
It was shocking and terrifying to see  and hear that protestors were going to be "forced" into using this area.  Free-speech my foot, right?  As a symbol of the current political situation in this country, nothing could have spoke louder than a designated spot for conducting a protest.  As if freedom was only limited to one geographic area.

Of course, this highlights the problem with a possible Kerry administration.  Protect our rights?  Yeah right.  Repeal the Patriot Act?  Yeah right.  I'm sure the list could go on. 

But what happened offers us (or at least me) a lot of hope:  Freedom was not, could not, would not be confined.  Protestors took their march around the Boston Commons and in front of the Fleet Center.  And it went smoothly.  No violence (well, just a little); no bigger disruptions to everyday Boston life (at least no more than the convention is itself). 

I'd like to say this is a sign.  I'd like to think we're on the cusp of something big.  A large reshaping of American politics.  Joe Trippi thinks so.  I tend to agree with him.  Imagine if it was 30,000 or even 1,000,000.   I doubt the "Free Speech Area" is even big enough to imprison..er...accomodate that many people.  They can't stop us even if they tried.

Speaking of Joe Trippi, there's a new feature on his website called "Your Story."  There you can submit stories of how you are getting involved to make this country a better place.  I encourage all Greens to submit their stories to this site and show the Democrats what real grassroots democracy looks like. 







9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine Thousands Of Links Back To Your Web Site From Other People's Blogs!

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RSS Announcer instantly and automatically submits your RSS feeds

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to find another site dedicated to the hobby of water gardening.

I have my own site for water gardening and enjoy sharing information that I find relevant to water gardening, such as water garden filters


Perhaps we can do a link exchange.

Thanks,
Thomas Holley
Water-Garden-Directory.com

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Among these magnificent benefits is the chance to be able to promote your business, any business,

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free Ads and Marketing Lessons conveniently SENT straight to your Inbox Daily!

8:42 PM  
Blogger safelists said...

Hi Daniel, If you would like to send your ad to the best opportunity seekers please click here Safelist Submitter.
http://www.submitterbizz.com
Safelist Submitter

11:39 AM  
Blogger safelists said...

Hi Daniel, If you would like to send your ad to the best opportunity seekers please click here Safelist.
http://www.submitterbizz.com
Safelist

6:49 PM  
Blogger safelists said...

Hi Daniel, If you would like to send your ad to the best opportunity seekers please click here safelist blaster.
http://www.submitterbizz.com
safelist blaster

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! While I was searching for info on club golf making supply I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for club golf making supply. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about club golf making supply.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home